Heath Snail Helicella itala
BACK TO ......
Length: 12-20 mm.
Colour & Description :
The 12-20 mm. shell is broad and very depressed with an open coil forming a convex, low spire. The umbilicus is very wide. The whorls are slightly convex and have shallow sutures. The aperture is elliptical and lacks an internal rib. The surface (periostracum) is white or pale yellow-brown and dark brown or yellow-brown spiral bands and fine irregular growth ridges.
- A broad very depressed opaque white shell
- Spire low and with a very wide umbilicus
- Whorls sightly convex and with shallow sutures
- Aperture elliptical without an internal rib
- Colour white or pale yellow-brown with dark brown or yellowish spiral bands
- Marked by irregular growth lines
Food & Habit
Habitat and Distribution
By AfricaGomez (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons